[K12OSN] BSOD - X server

If I'm logged into the console as root and a client logs out, I get a bluescreen that says, "There already appears to be an X server running on display :0...."   I have to select OK an then it takes me to a new login where I need to press Ctrl Alt F7 to get back to my session.

Anyone know what causes this and how to solve it?
--
Mel Wade
http://www.melwade.com