[K12OSN] anyone using the network "recycle bin" with samba?

Chuck Kollars ckollars9 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 18 20:31:51 UTC 2007

I used the Samba network recycle bin all last year for
a combined middle/high school with a total of
somewhere over 1000 students. It was drop-dead simple
both to set up and to use. It even recovers gracefully
from having itself deleted by a student (which happens
remarkably often) by silently recreating itself the
next time it's needed.

My experience was students get confused if "local
trash" and "network trash" have different time limits,
especially if they sometimes use a Windows computer
configured to have a completely different trash
retention policy.

I also found students are remarkably bad at "empty
your trash". All kinds of crud builds up in there, and
you may find yourself running short of disk space. A
maintenance script that runs out of `cron` and uses
`find` to identify and delete any files that have been
in the recycle bin longer than (pick your value, I for
example used 30 days) is almost required.

thanks!
-Chuck Kollars