[K12OSN] problem with pivot root identifing the nic

Hi Everyone
I am going to try and explain my problem one more time.
I bought a bunch of ASUS vintage 2 AH2 bare bone kits (m2npv-vm motherboards) added memory and processor to be my clients.
I am using k12ltsp version 6 as the server.
I see the client start up and get the DHCP and TFTP fine. It then begins the second boot and tells me it can not identify the NIC and aborts. I know that the generic forcedeth driver will work or I can install a driver from the NVIDIA website. what I need to know is how to I force the kernel to use one of these modules. Failing this I can boot from USB thumb drives. In which case what small distro would you recommend and what do I have to add to make sure it works properly with the server.
School is starting in two days so I need to get thing done.
Thanks in advance.
Jacob Maier