[K12OSN] Home Folder Mounting Twist

Mel Wade mel at melwade.com
Sun Aug 19 21:16:07 UTC 2007

Here's a little twist to home folder mounting.  I'll add it to the
wiki when I can, but thought I would share it now fwiw:

===Mounting only an individual user's folder===

The instructions above will mount only the share that contains all the
AD home folders.  But we often want to mount the specific user's
folder and not a folder that lists all the shares. Samba will not
allow mounting of a folder under a share so we have to pull a little
trick out of our hat.

Here is the code I use, please adapt for your use.  I've added
commented lines to explain each preceeding line.

 volume * cifs studenta Home /mnt/HomeShare
dir_mode=0700,file_mode=0700,uid=& - -
 #volume * cifs servername share hiddenmountpoint settings - -
 volume * local - /mnt/HomeShare/& /home/UCASTUDENT/&/Desktop/SaveHere bind - -
 #volume * local - hiddenmountpoint/& pathtouserdesktop/FolderName bind - -

--
Mel Wade
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." -