[K12OSN] LTSP guest accounts

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Fri Aug 24 12:37:58 UTC 2007

Hello guys,

We're setting up a K12LTSP 5EL install and almost everything is
working just fine. We currently in the process of setting up user
accounts, but ran into a problem. We want to supply a couple of
personal user accounts, but there are also a lot of people that
should be able to use the LTSP terminals for just checking their
email etcetera and we don't want to give out personal user accounts
to all those hundreds of people. Mostly because they will log in so
infrequently that most of them will not remember their username and
password, so a guest account would probably be more appropriate. We
noticed however that when multiple terminals are logged in under the
same user account things don't go really smooth. Firefox complains
about already running and we also can't reset the guest user's
homedir as other people might still be logged in as that user while
another terminal logs out. Did anyone ever manage to work this out or
have an idea?

Thanks,

Nils Breunese.