Re: [K12OSN] OOo not defaulting to MS formats in version 6

I wrote:

Eric Harrison wrote:
Petre Scheie wrote:
Eric Harrison wrote:
Petre Scheie wrote:
I just noticed that OOo is not defaulting to MS formats--.doc, .xls,
.ppt--when saving documents.  I see the
/opt/ltsp/templates/k12linux/openoffice-ms-format-defaults.sh file, and
I ran it as root, but it didn't change anything for existing users
(didn't try creating a new user afterward). Didn't there use to be an
icon on root's desktop for running this?  Or was it run by default
during installation?  Should the script still work?

Petre

Running /opt/ltsp/templates/k12linux/openoffice-ms-format- defaults.sh
should reset the defaults back to the MS formats.

If a user changes their personal settings, it will over-ride the
defaults. You might try nuking a user's ~/.openoffice* directory so that
they pick back up the default settings.

Removing the users ~/.openoffice* does fix it.  Did the
openoffice-ms-format-defaults.sh previously run automatically or have I
just forgotten that I ran it manually in the past?

Thanks Eric.

Petre

The script runs automatically at install time. Updates can over-write
the changes.

As far as I know, a user's setting will only over-ride the defaults if
the user manually changes their settings.

I have a fresh K12LTSP 5EL install and my test user defaults to saving as .odt. I did run a 'yum update' after the installation which installed an OpenOffice.org update. Could the update have caused the defaults to reset, or did the script maybe not run at install time?

I ran /opt/ltsp/templates/k12linux/openoffice-ms-format-defaults.sh again and nuked the test user's .openoffice.org2.0 directory, but Writer still defaults to saving as .odt. Is this a known issue?

I believe the /opt/ltsp/templates/k12linux/openoffice-ms-format- defaults.sh script has an error in the 64-bit version. It tries to access files in /usr/lib, while they are in /usr/lib64. I don't know who wrote or maintains this script, but could this be fixed for the 64-bit version of K12LTSP (5EL)?

Nils Breunese.