[K12OSN] Xvnc SecurityTypes - Edubuntu Fl_TeacherTool port

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 18:01:42 UTC 2007

I am trying to port Fl_TeacherTool to Edubuntu but I'm having problems
with Xvnc. In K12LTSP Xvnc has the "SecurityTypes None" option for no
password required but Edubuntu Xvnc does not seem to have this option.

In addition, Xvnc is launched automatically by inetd in k12ltsp like this

nobody   27960  0.8  1.1 10656 6048 ?        Ss   22:14   0:00
/usr/bin/Xvnc -inetd -once -query localhost -fp unix/:7100
-SecurityTypes None -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16

however I must launch it manually in Edubuntu (vncserver can be used
to start Xvnc). This is for the Broadcast feature. I thought about
creating a dedicated user for broadcasting. Maybe called "vncuser".
The problem is I can't start a vnc server without setting vncpasswd
password and if I create a password in /home/vncuser/.vnc/passwd then
it can only be read by that person. I could change the permissions on
that users dir (seems hackish) but if I can get the "SecurityTypes
None" to work I can avoid all this. Any suggestions or help much
appreciated. BTW in k12ltsp I think the inetd option connects to xdmcp
(since you get a login screen) so I'm assuming that won't work by
default in Edubuntu since it's using LTSP5.

The package that sets things up in k12ltsp is
rpm -ql vnc-ltsp-config
/etc/sysconfig/vncts
/etc/xinetd.d/vncts
/usr/bin/vncts