Re: [K12OSN] PXE

_______________________________
Do you GNU!?

Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:
Mel Wade wrote:

I have some Intel and 3com cards with PXE boot capabilities.  I have
flashed the cards with the lastest firmware, but get PXE-E20 errors
when it tries to boot.  I've googled, but can't seem to find a
solution....

I have other thin clients booting on the system so I know that part is working.

Just did some preliminary Googling, too.  From what I read of that error
code, the BIOS is returning an error code trying to copy the NIC's boot
image into "extended memory" and that this error should "never" (haha)
happen.

What happens if you take those NIC's and try them in a totally different
computer?  Any change?

The only other possibility that quickly comes to mind is the 15-16MB
memory "hole" that some BIOS's allow you to set.  This is totally a
guess, but maybe that NIC's trying to write into that memory hole, and
it can't?  I note that the error code speaks of a problem with writing
to extended memory.

--TP

Another thing I've seen some people report is that the PC's BIOS itself might need updating.  I know from experience that buggy BIOS's can be a problem for Dell OptiPlex GX1's when you try to PXE-boot them (recent BIOS versions do fix this).

--TP