Re: [K12OSN] find command

Roger wrote:

On 8/28/07, Huck <dhuckaby paasda org> wrote: 'find' is likely much more powerful..

but I use 'updatedb'...and then 'locate <filename or partial with
wildcard>'...
Yeah, I use locate often too.
find is for when I want to do something with the files after they're found.

Why wouldn't you be able to do something with the files that locate eh... locates for you? Piping the result into xargs is pretty powerful.

find is more flexible than locate though, you can for instance tell it to only look in a particular part of your filesystem, check for certain permissions, times, etc. and it is always returning actually existing files. locate searches a database (which is updated by running updatedb), while find searches the live filesystem.

Nils Breunese.