Re: [K12OSN] find command

Roger wrote:
On 8/29/07, Nils Breunese <nils breun nl> wrote:
Roger wrote:

you answered exactly why I use find.    I  never would have come up
with that wording, but you put exactly why I use find instead of
locate.  Locate is to locate a file,  or to see where I squirreled
something away.  I use find when I want to get certain files in a
subdirectory and do something with them.
I just recently noticed that find uses the wild card character like
you expect it to, I was just wondering when it changed.
I couldn't find that change in the output of 'rpm -q --changelog
findutils', but I guess it has been this way for quite some time now.
At least I don't remember having to escape wildcards when using find.

I first learned it on solaris, then used it on BSD.  Could be linux version
you never had to.  And to think I could have saved a keystroke all these
years..

It's NOT the find command that you have to escape wildcards (Shell metachars) from.

It's the shell.

The shell processes the command line, expanding metacharacters before passing the result on to the find command. Find never gets a chance to see the metachars, unless, of course, you escape them from the shell with something like \* or single quotes '*'.

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org