[K12OSN] will this setup work?

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri Aug 31 14:13:03 UTC 2007

willhatch at fayhoneyknoppschool.org wrote:
> Howdy all,
Howdy, pardner.

> I swear that at one point I had my network working with the cable
> modem connected directly to my k12ltsp server (eth1), then to my 25
> port switch; thin clients boot and internet worked, and Windows
> machines plugged into the switch had internet too.

Wait...you're straight to the Internet butt-naked?  No firewall or other
router in between?  God, I hope you've got the Mother of All Packet
Filtering Rulesets on eth1!

> I have this set up with k12ltsp 6.0, and the thin clients boot/have
> internet, but the Machines cannot find the internet.  I went with a
> pretty basic install of the k12 software.  What could be my problem?
> Do I have to have a router in there somewhere?

Hmm...in K12LTSP, Eric has that set to getI'd check your iptables
settings to see if I have the appropriate MASQ rules in there.  Also,
see if IP forwarding is turned on in the kernel.  For those who aren't
familiar with this:  to do that, do like I did on my box:

[microman at takhisis ~]$ cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
1
[microman at takhisis ~]$

The "1" means it's turned on.  Note that the config to allow routing
through the K12LTSP server is the default (thanks, Eric!).
> If I install a wireless router between the cable modem and the k12
> server, will my teachers be able to get wireless to their laptops?

You could do that.  And some kind of NAT'ing and packet-filtering router
in the path between your cable modem and the K12LTSP server is highly
recommended anyway!

Of course, if you're using the K12LTSP server as the main file server
for the school, like I did (Samba), then you'll need to make sure that
your eth1 packet filtering rules get changed to allow the Windows
clients to hit Samba.  Might just be easier to stick a wireless access
point--in straight bridging mode, no Layer 3 stuff--on the thin client
subnet (eth0 segment).

--TP