Re: [K12OSN] will this setup work?

That's true; I discovered that same principle years ago on a totally misconfigured Windows NT Server network (192.168.0.0/24 on both NIC's!).  What made the Windows clients able to Web surf is that they had MS Proxy Server on the NT Server, as well as the MS Proxy Client.  What was saving them was that application gateway (the Web proxy).  However, Web was all they could get; no FTP, no streaming audio/video, no AIM, etc.  If they hadn't also had MS Exchange Server on the NT Server, then email wouldn't have worked, either.

Same holds true for Squid on a GNU/Linux box not configured for routing.  Matter of fact, it is also, heh heh, a reasonably effective way to keep your users from doing stuff like P2P.  :-)

--TP
_______________________________
Do you GNU!?

Huck wrote:
I thought that was the case as well Terrell...until I attempted it 3 weeks ago...apparently SQUID must be running and you must have it configured properly on the LTSP side of the network...if those windows machines are on that 192.168.0.0/24 subnet..

searching out my posts from August you'll find where I documented what needed to be done(not the most detailed...but what I did to get it working)

chkconfig --level 345 transparent-proxying on
chkconfig --level 345 squid on

and then editing the /etc/squid/squid.conf file

is the "condensed" version ;)

then again my LTSP machine is BEHIND a router/firewall...so I do not
have an iptables rules on the LTSP machine.

--Huck

Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:

Hmm...in K12LTSP, Eric has that set to getI'd check your iptables
settings to see if I have the appropriate MASQ rules in there.  Also,
see if IP forwarding is turned on in the kernel.  For those who aren't
familiar with this:  to do that, do like I did on my box: