[K12OSN] will this setup work?

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri Aug 31 16:26:33 UTC 2007

That's true; I discovered that same principle years ago on a totally
misconfigured Windows NT Server network (192.168.0.0/24 on both
NIC's!).  What made the Windows clients able to Web surf is that they
had MS Proxy Server on the NT Server, as well as the MS Proxy Client.
What was saving them was that application gateway (the Web proxy).
However, Web was all they could get; no FTP, no streaming audio/video,
no AIM, etc.  If they hadn't also had MS Exchange Server on the NT
Server, then email wouldn't have worked, either.

Same holds true for Squid on a GNU/Linux box not configured for
routing.  Matter of fact, it is also, heh heh, a reasonably effective
way to keep your users from doing stuff like P2P.  :-)

--TP
Do you GNU!?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.gnu.org/>--the ultimate antivirus
protection!