[K12OSN] will this setup work?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Aug 31 17:40:34 UTC 2007

willhatch at fayhoneyknoppschool.org wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> I swear that at one point I had my network working with the cable modem
> connected directly to my k12ltsp server (eth1), then to my 25 port
> switch; thin clients boot and internet worked, and Windows machines
> plugged into the switch had internet too.
>
> I have this set up with k12ltsp 6.0, and the thin clients boot/have
> internet, but the Machines cannot find the internet.  I went with a
> pretty basic install of the k12 software.  What could be my problem?  Do
> I have to have a router in there somewhere?

On a 2-nic machine, the iptables setup to act as a nat gateway should be
in the nat init script included in k12ltsp.

service nat start
chkconfig nat on (to restart automatically at bootup)

> If I install a wireless router between the cable modem and the k12
> server, will my teachers be able to get wireless to their laptops?

Yes, but on the 'outside' interface, many of the k12ltsp services will
be blocked.  Freenx/NX should work with the 'use ssl for everything' option.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com