[K12OSN] Technology and Learning cover story: Linux

Richard Ingalls richard.ingalls at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 18:05:13 UTC 2007

I don't know if you need a subscription to view this or not, but here it is:
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/newbay/tl_200711/

I must admit that I'm a bit jaded on this subject, having been a public
school teacher and technology coordinator for 10 years, and an avid Open
Source evangelist.  In my state, Missouri, I have found that I was either
ahead of my time, or that no one wanted to save money on licenses and using
otherwise unusable hardware.  I presented at the state technology
coordinator's convention; got an article printed up in the Missouri State
Teacher's Association magazine; got a local TV story done about it and a
local newspaper story - all about the great virtues of the K12LTSP project
and Open Source Software.  It felt to me that no one wanted to listen to a
young enthusiastic teacher/techie.  All I wanted to do was show them the way
to a better technological world!  And they wouldn't listen!  But I'll show
them!  One day I'll get my revenge.   Muwaa ha ha ha ha ha!

Just kidding.  Getting a little silly here.

It's neat to see more articles in this national magazine touting the virtues
of OSS and Linux specifically.  Perhaps the learning community will soon
embrace the OSS philosophy.  I have left the field of public education and
now work in the healthcare industry (still doing technology and learning
though - and still using OSS even though my IT dept is an all Microsoft
shop).  In fact, recently I've been setting up for different OSS servers:
Moodle, Joomla, Drupal and TWiki.

It's been a few years since I've posted to the K12osn list, so I"m just
saying "hi" to everyone once again.  "Hello world."

--
"miracles are a retelling in small letters
of the very same story which is written across the whole