[K12OSN] Heads up: CentOS 5.1 released

Rob Owens rowens at bio-chemvalve.com
Tue Dec 4 14:40:23 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Eric Harrison wrote:
>> If you run "yum update" on a CentOS 5.0/K12LTSP EL5 box, you'll be in
>> for quite a download.
>>
>> You can read up on the changes here:
>>
>>     http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.1/
>>

>> I'll get to work on building ISOs for those who do a fresh install &
>> don't want to have to download that many packages afterwards ;-)
>
> If you like to baby-sit the update process but don't want to wait while
> the download completes you can:
>
> yum -y install yum-downloadonly
>    This installs a yum plugin to permit:
> yum -y --downloadonly update
>    This downloads the needed new RPM packages but doesn't install them.
>    You can repeat this if there are problems downloading.
>
>    Then when you are ready for the actual update:
> yum -y update
>    This part runs fairly quickly with all the packages already
> available  - and you'll need a reboot when it finishes to load the new
> kernel.

Is there any good reason to update the kernel if everything is working
fine for me right now?  I've got 160 days of uptime since I plugged my
server into a new UPS, and I'd like to see how far I can take it...  But
that's just for bragging rights, so if there's a good reason to use the
new kernel, someone let me know and I'll upgrade it.

-Rob