[K12OSN] re: 1440x990 resolution on thin client

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Dec 4 16:09:26 UTC 2007

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 12:59:56 -0500, Rob Owens wrote
> Thanks for the advice.  It didn't work, though.  It may just be that
> this particular thin client won't put out a widescreen resolution.  Does
> anybody know of a thin client that does work in widescreen?
>
> -Rob

I don't think it is as much a problem the right thin client, but more the perfect
settings for that particular monitor.  I have had a couple widescreen monitors that I
have tried to get working on fat clients before, with much headaches.  I had to Google
for a few hours both times to find settings for that particular brand and model monitor.
 I now avoid buying widescreen monitors at all costs.

But since you have one, I've found that liveCD's are usually the best at figuring this
stuff out.  Try plugging the monitor into a fat client somewhere and boot from a live
CD.  Then if it works steal the monitor section and put it into your custom xorg.conf
file.  This might be your best option.  Otherwise search for your particular monitor
brand and model in google along with xorg.conf.  Maybe you'll get lucky and find a line
to steal.

Jim