[K12OSN] flash update adds needed feature

Almquist Burke balmquist at mindfirestudios.com
Sat Dec 8 00:54:59 UTC 2007

On Dec 7, 2007, at 10:11 AM, Kemp, Levi wrote:

> Do elaborate. Are you suggesting that I can load a 64bit kernel
> into my current setup and have access to all the RAM for the
> operating system? But if I were to run more than 3.2 GB worth of
> say Firefox it would let me go above that? Or are you saying just
> for each instance of that application? If so than since none of my
> applications will ever use all 4GB at once I'll just have more to
> spread around. Have I managed to confuse anyone else yet?

The limit is per process I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
In fact, before the 64 bit version, you used to ship with optimized
kernels for AMD and 64 bit etc. The only advantage for 64 bit apps is
if one app needs to use a lot of memory (like a DB for instance, or
photoshop/GIMP etc.) Since it's protected memory, each user's process
should be separate, unlike running one bit app.