[K12OSN] Core Files

Mr Barry Cisna cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us
Wed Dec 12 14:44:09 UTC 2007

Jeff,

This isn't much help but a .core file is always an application crash. I'm
not sure how you would troubleshoot it, but may have something to do with
the config within your nfs > to serverxyz that the home folders reside on.
We have used K12LTSP since version 1 and I've never seen .core files end
up in users home folders. Also it's worth checking into to get familiar
with quotas. I've found that 300 mb set doesn't neccesarily mean the user
is actually being able to dump 300 mb of data into their home folder. I've
found this value to be off as much as 50%. In other words having quota set
at 300mb like you do if you right click the users folder and do properties
on their home folder it may show only 150mb( even though they are maxed to
the 300mb you have allocated. I have done the same thing with 'du /home
'the values are way off as well.
You may do a traceroute from sitting at a terminal to your ipaddress of
your home folder server. See if you have a slow spot in the route. This
would be hard to pin down,though.
Has any of the users complained of application xyz suddenly closing? This
is hard to get accurate feedback on, I know.
Let us know what you find out.

Take Care,

Barry Cisna