[K12OSN] Scanner Recommendation

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Thu Dec 20 21:46:55 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 16:35 -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone could recommend a good scanner to use with Linux?  We have an
> HP currently at our Jr. High that scans fine, but makes all the photos a little green.
> They want to use the scanner for pictures brought in from home to use for the school
> yearbook, and a good quality scan is critical (ie: not green :-)
>
> I promise I won't come back to haunt you if your recommendation goes awry, but I just
> need some personal feedback.
>
> The desktop this is used on is running Edubuntu 7.04 and currently we are using SANE to
> access the HP scanner.
----
sounds as if the color calibration needs adjustment with the software
you are using to scan.

GIMP can easily adjust the color balance of any photograph...

Colors => Auto => White Balance

You might consider downloading 'Picasa' - it's free from Google. It has
some automatic enhancements that are really good.

Craig