[K12OSN] Updating the PXE start files

Kenneth Lundström kenneth.lundstrom at nudata.fi
Sun Dec 30 16:46:40 UTC 2007

I have used LTSP and K12LTSP for maybe two years or correctly said my
client has been using it. The K12LTSP is very easy to install and use.
Thank you everybody who has been working on it and made so easy to use.

My client got an new Thinkpad R61 and would like to use it mostly as an
client in the LTSP network. I´m offsite so I installed an test server
from the same CD:s to find out if I could get the Thinkpad to work with
K12LTSP.

 For some reason the network card is not detected automatically. It toke
me two nights to find out why opion-128 and option-129 does not work
with PXE. Now I know it shouldn´t work. I mixed Etherboot and PXE in my
mind. When I finally got there next problem presented it self. dhcpcd
error, after spending half a night trying to find out why I found that
kernel should be updated.

Somewhere I read that K12LTSP is updated with yum. So I made a 'yum
update -y' but files in /tftpboot/lts/pxe are not updated. So I used
ltspadmin and installed newest LTSP files, after som trial and error I
get the DHCP to offer the right files and got the laptop to boot.

Is there a way to automatically update even those PXE files?

Kenneth Lundström