[K12OSN] Updating the PXE start files

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Sun Dec 30 16:59:28 UTC 2007

Kenneth Lundström wrote:

> I have used LTSP and K12LTSP for maybe two years or correctly said
> my client has been using it. The K12LTSP is very easy to install and
> use. Thank you everybody who has been working on it and made so easy
> to use.
>
> My client got an new Thinkpad R61 and would like to use it mostly as
> an client in the LTSP network. I´m offsite so I installed an test
> server from the same CD:s to find out if I could get the Thinkpad to
> work with K12LTSP.
>
> For some reason the network card is not detected automatically. It
> toke me two nights to find out why opion-128 and option-129 does not
> work with PXE. Now I know it shouldn´t work. I mixed Etherboot and
> PXE in my mind. When I finally got there next problem presented it
> self. dhcpcd error, after spending half a night trying to find out
> why I found that kernel should be updated.
>
> Somewhere I read that K12LTSP is updated with yum. So I made a 'yum
> update -y' but files in /tftpboot/lts/pxe are not updated. So I used
> ltspadmin and installed newest LTSP files, after som trial and error
> I get the DHCP to offer the right files and got the laptop to boot.
>
> Is there a way to automatically update even those PXE files?

On our K12LTSP 5EL server the files under /tftpboot/lts/pxe belong to
the ltsp_i386-boot package. If the ltsp_i386-boot package in the yum
repository is updated, then yum will pull it in when you run yum
update. The ltsp_i386-boot package seems to be maintained by Eric
Harrison ("the K12LTSP guy"), so you might want to ask him about
updating the package.

Nils Breunese.