[K12OSN] ATI ES1000 video card causing bad image

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat Dec 1 07:22:22 UTC 2007

P Morrison wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am new to this forum.  Does anyone know anything
> about a problem with the ATI ES1000 and
> incompatibility with K12LTSP?
>
> During the dos screen it looks fine on the install,

I must point out that there is no "DOS" running here.  :-)  It's all
GNU/Linux.

> but when it gets to probing for hardware and finds the
> ATI ES1000, my screen refreshes to an UN-synced mode.
> I tried several different brands of monitors and same
> problem occurred.
>
> I DID find a message on an unrelated website about a
> RedHat install suggesting a change to the xorg.conf
> file to change the Driver name from "ati" to "vesa".
> Does anybody know if this works on the K12LTSP
> install?

Be advised that though the "vesa" driver works with just about
everything, it is D-A-W-G slow.  By design, it doesn't take advantage of
any of the card's built-in acceleration.  That's an issue with a lot of
nVidious cards, too.

However, take heart.  AMD, the new owners of ATI, is releasing the specs
for their video chipsets.  Therefore, there may be a working driver for
that ES1000 soon, if not already, included in the latest X11 releases.

--TP