[K12OSN] Advocacy and Success Stories

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Sat Dec 1 19:22:00 UTC 2007

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 11:42:15AM -0500, "Terrell Prudé Jr." wrote:
> One other thing, about your "sorry for cross-posting" bit:
>
> Turns out it wasn't a cross-post.  Note the title, "Support list for
> open source software in schools."  Originally this was a list about
> K12LTSP, because that was pretty much all that was out there.  The
> primary focus is still that.  However, we also discuss any other open
> source software in schools, and we certainly welcome any discussion
> regarding, for example, Edubuntu and SkoleLinux.

I would welcome pointers to more software options for our K-6 school.
That would be helpful in advocating for LTSP.  Edubuntu comes with a
pretty good selection, I feel.

It's a bit frustrating just starting out to know where to post.  I
have technical questions about ltsp and I'm using Edubuntu.  So, I've
been picking between the Edubuntu and ltsp-discuss lists.  It's not
always easy to know if an issue is related to the distribution or not.

Perhaps wrongly, but I've somewhat assumed that the K12OSN list might
have more long-term LTSP users (and more of a school focus).

I also assume many people are subscribed to both or all three lists.

> BTW, Power Macs make pretty good LTSP thin clients.  K12LTSP supports
> this out of the box.  So you might not have to throw them away.

The one Power Mac works ok -- just sounds like a Kerby vacuum when
running.  But most of the 60 or 70 machines are old iMacs.  They work
ok (still no sound due to pulseaudio/liboil "illegal instruction"),
but are slow.

The P4 1GB clients I have scream. ;)

I'ld like to move to low-powered fan-less thin clients when possible.
It would help keep up its "Green Business" status.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org