Re: [K12OSN] Technology and Learning cover story: Linux

Richard Ingalls wrote:
I don't know if you need a subscription to view this or not, but here it is:
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/newbay/tl_200711/

I must admit that I'm a bit jaded on this subject, having been a public school teacher and technology coordinator for 10 years, and an avid Open Source evangelist. In my state, Missouri, I have found that I was either ahead of my time, or that no one wanted to save money on licenses and using otherwise unusable hardware. I presented at the state technology coordinator's convention; got an article printed up in the Missouri State Teacher's Association magazine; got a local TV story done about it and a local newspaper story - all about the great virtues of the K12LTSP project and Open Source Software. It felt to me that no one wanted to listen to a young enthusiastic teacher/techie. All I wanted to do was show them the way to a better technological world! And they wouldn't listen! But I'll show them! One day I'll get my revenge. Muwaa ha ha ha ha ha!

Just kidding.  Getting a little silly here.

Do not be discouraged, disenchanted, or disillusioned. Being an effective change agent takes time. Take a look at what you have done - gotten the word out, gotten publicity, and planted seeds of change.

Three years ago I nearly moved to Missouri with my wife for a 2-year Arm stint at Ft. Leonard Wood. I took note of you, your initiatives, and had planned to help if I went. I personally think you have done a lot of great work.

Furthermore, having bought a place in Rolla, I now know what an incredible braintrust that town has. I see lots of FOSS there. Plus, it is bookended by Kansas City and St. Louis. Don't underestimate the positive effects you may have had. Besides, you probably didn't fully address, as I did not early on, the extent of OPM abuse in the schools.

It's been a few years since I've posted to the K12osn list, so I"m just saying "hi" to everyone once again. "Hello world."

Aloha Amigo

--
"miracles are a retelling in small letters
of the very same story which is written across the whole

--scott