Re: [K12OSN] Technology and Learning cover story: Linux

Richard Ingalls wrote:

And thanks to everyone on this mail list who has helped me through the years to create those LTSP labs in my school district. I don't know if those labs are even still functioning now that I'm gone... it would be such a bummer if that was dropped. But the guy they brought in after me wasn't a Linux dude - he shut down my Apache webserver and Sendmail email server and setup a MS environment (probably spent money that I was going to spend on client PCs to build more labs for more students). Oh well...

I experienced the same thing at the Library I used to work at. I had IPCop and two K12LTSP servers along with a SME server and the new guy wanted to rip it all out and go with all MS stuff. But after looking for a replacement system to authenticate users accessing the Internet they gave up and kept the system as is. Although, they will probably replace the K12LTSP servers and install Vista Home PC's.

This time I think the Sr. Net Admin (who is actually younger than me) is supportive of the idea and willing to put a virtual server online for me to install all these OSS applications on for the entire organization. Ironically, it will be an MS server, virtualized to run Linux as the OS... not the other way around! Funny, eh? The Sr. Net Admin has experience with Joomla/Mambo/Drupal, so that's a plus!

That's nice t have a boss that is open minded enough to utilize other OS's other than MS. Perhaps you can take this little crack and keep expanding it as time goes by.

Ray