Re: [K12OSN] Firefox and load average

On Dec 3, 2007 10:08 AM, David Hopkins <dahopkins429 gmail com> wrote:
> Just recently (last few days) when students launch FF (1.5), the load
> average on the server will spike to 20 or so, sometimes much higher,
> (on a dual 2.4GHz hyperthreaded Xeon system), then over a few minutes
> come back to 2 (more or less). The problem is that during the spike,
> everything comes to a complete crawl.  Since this behavior has only
> started recently, I am at a loss for why. I have not updated any
> packages nor added any.  It is almost like some 'tipping point' was
> reached wrt files, perhaps related to a thread discussion earlier
> concerning open files?  Has anyone else on the list seen behavior like
> this? And if so, have a recommendation on how to resolve it?

I have a very similar server and I also had high load averages with FF
and flash sites with 30 users. I have switched to Opera and it has
made a big difference. Opera is very configurable in terms of global
settings which is a plus. All flash processess run at nice 19 so the
system runs much smoother. The only sad part is Opera is not Open
Source. But it is free as in beer.

--
Robert Arkiletian