Re: [K12OSN] Heads up: CentOS 5.1 released

Rob Owens wrote:

If you run "yum update" on a CentOS 5.0/K12LTSP EL5 box, you'll be in
for quite a download.

You can read up on the changes here:

    http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.1/

I'll get to work on building ISOs for those who do a fresh install &
don't want to have to download that many packages afterwards ;-)
If you like to baby-sit the update process but don't want to wait while
the download completes you can:

yum -y install yum-downloadonly
   This installs a yum plugin to permit:
yum -y --downloadonly update
   This downloads the needed new RPM packages but doesn't install them.
   You can repeat this if there are problems downloading.

   Then when you are ready for the actual update:
yum -y update
   This part runs fairly quickly with all the packages already
available  - and you'll need a reboot when it finishes to load the new
kernel.

Is there any good reason to update the kernel if everything is working
fine for me right now?  I've got 160 days of uptime since I plugged my
server into a new UPS, and I'd like to see how far I can take it...  But
that's just for bragging rights, so if there's a good reason to use the
new kernel, someone let me know and I'll upgrade it.

I'm not sure there is any pressing need to do this update at all, but when an update installs a new kernel and sets it as the default, I usually like to reboot the machine at a time I can go to the console and select the old one if there is a problem. Otherwise there's a rare chance that some change won't work on your specific hardware and it won't come up after you lose power in the middle of the night and no one is around. This is more common on fedora, though - Centos is pretty well tested before anything is releases.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les futuresource com