[K12OSN] TuxMath test on 8 core machine with teamed NICs 16GB RAM

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 17:30:29 UTC 2007

On Dec 6, 2007 9:10 AM, Jim Kronebusch <jim at winonacotter.org> wrote:
> > Funny I just ran this test with my class 2 days ago. Running k12ltsp
> > 4.2.3EL on a dual Xeon 2.8GHz , 4GB, 10k rpm raid 1 scsi drives with 1
> > Gb NIC for eth0 server. Simultaneously launched 30 instances of
> > tuxmath my load average went up to 27, my bandwidth on eth0 hovered
> > around 0.5-1 Gb and my ram usage went up to almost 3GB (Don't forget I
> > use IceWM)  The OS and the server seemed to handle it without falling
> > apart. It was just really SLOW but nothing seemed to break or act
> > funny.
>
> Were you using the newer version?  If not, that's bad news....well at least for me.

Not sure. Whatever version comes with k12ltsp 4EL. I've updated to
4.4. I'll check what version when I'm in the lab.

> What did you use to monitor bandwidth?  My TuxMath also ran fullscreen, is yours

ibmonitor

> windowed?  If so maybe I'll run windowed and test again.

yes they are windowed

> As far as running slow, I guess regardless of CPU/RAM/Network usage, if it runs too slow
> to use it doesn't do much good anyhow.  We have 7-12 grades here, so I don't really need
> TuxMath.  But it would be nice for elementary schools.

Yes I think with 30 users it was TOO slow to be any good. But 15 I
think it should be okay especially with elementary kids. But my server
is no where near the power of yours.

--
Robert Arkiletian