[K12OSN] OT Computer Hardware/Software Inventory

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Fri Dec 14 16:56:44 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 10:43 -0600, Kemp, Levi wrote:
> At a tech meeting we had a few days ago my boss asked us to look into a
> solution to track our computers over the network. Both hardware and
> software, so that we can be in compliance with licenses and see where we
> need to focus more. He didn't want to spend much if any thing on it, so
> I was hoping to get some suggestions from the group on any ideas for
> handling this. I read some on OCS, but I'd like to avoid sitting down at
> every station. At that point I might as well walk around with a notepad
> and inventory it myself ;-) Thanks for your thoughts.
----
http://www.zenoss.com

It will get Windows software but I haven't gotten it to retrieve Mac or
Linux software yet.

Also, Windows does not run snmp out of the box so it did require that I
install a small package and add snmp from Windows packaging and adjust
the firewall on each Windows system.

HTH

Craig