Re: [K12OSN] OT Computer Hardware/Software Inventory

Kemp, Levi wrote:
Ok I appreciate everyone's opinion on this, and actually after I did
more reading I'm thinking OCS is the way to go. I'm unsure when I'll get
it up and running but I'll report back how it goes. If the client
install pushed down through the network doesn't cause any issues I may
just get an inventory going then show the Coordinator. He impresses
better with results then talk.
If by "issues" you mean surprised users, I might make one suggestion: When you setup the agent installer (by login script or whatever means you choose) there's an option to enter a "Tag" for each computer. This can be something like "2nd floor" or "Science classroom". Then when the installer runs on each computer a window pops up asking the user to enter their tag. If you run it from login, users will be surprised. On the other hand, if you prepare the installer with *no* tag, then the window never pops up. And the computers appear in the database with an empty tag (which you can edit by hand afterwards).

--
Micha Silver
Arava Development Co