[K12OSN] Scanner Recommendation

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Thu Dec 20 23:01:31 UTC 2007

Jim Kronebusch wrote:

>> Just wondering if anyone could recommend a good scanner to use
>> with Linux?  We have an HP currently at our Jr. High that scans
>> fine, but makes all the photos a little green. They want to use
>> the scanner for pictures brought in from home to use for the
>> school yearbook, and a good quality scan is critical (ie: not
>> green :-)

I have an Epson Perfection V700 scanner hooked up to a CentOS box right
now to do a bunch of negative scanning.  It isn't specifically listed as
supported by SANE but works fine with the standard epson backend.  The
only problem I have is that the scanner specifications say it provides
hardware resolution up to 4800 x 9600 dpi but I'm only seeing up to
3,600 dpi.  For what I'm doing (4" x 5" negatives to enlarge up to 8" x
10") that's more than enough so I don't mind.  When I get to the point
of scanning 35mm film and slides, it will matter.  If you can live with
that limitation it's a very good scanner.  It's also possible it can be
fixed locally with some configuration changes but again, I haven't
bothered since what I have is working well enough.

$530 at NewEgg.

--
Henry