[K12OSN] Scanner Recommendation

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Dec 21 14:32:14 UTC 2007

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 18:01:31 -0500, Henry Hartley wrote
> Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> >>
> >> Just wondering if anyone could recommend a good scanner to use
> >> with Linux?  We have an HP currently at our Jr. High that scans
> >> fine, but makes all the photos a little green. They want to use
> >> the scanner for pictures brought in from home to use for the
> >> school yearbook, and a good quality scan is critical (ie: not
> >> green :-)
>
> I have an Epson Perfection V700 scanner hooked up to a CentOS box right
> now to do a bunch of negative scanning.  It isn't specifically listed as
> supported by SANE but works fine with the standard epson backend.  The
> only problem I have is that the scanner specifications say it provides
> hardware resolution up to 4800 x 9600 dpi but I'm only seeing up to
> 3,600 dpi.  For what I'm doing (4" x 5" negatives to enlarge up to 8" x
> 10") that's more than enough so I don't mind.  When I get to the point
> of scanning 35mm film and slides, it will matter.  If you can live with
> that limitation it's a very good scanner.  It's also possible it can be
> fixed locally with some configuration changes but again, I haven't
> bothered since what I have is working well enough.
>
> $530 at NewEgg.

In my looking and experience, I thought the Epson Perfection series might be the best
choice.  I looked at the V700 and similar models, but was a little scared when I didn't
see them in the list of supported scanners with SANE.  Thanks for the reassurance.

Jim