[K12OSN] New to K12LTSP - basic help please

John Montoya jomonto at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 19:48:42 UTC 2007

Hello-

*Brand New User* - to the K12LTSP.
A local middle school somehow came across the K12LTSP and purchased a new
server for their lab.
They have zero Linux experience and are a Windows house, they really didn't
know what they were purchasing.

So... I've been called in to help out with the deployment. I'm impressed
with the project and recommended they give it a try.
They delivered a brand new server to me. I installed *K12LTSP 6.0.0 - *and I
have it all up and running.
Workstations log in fine... functionally, for the most part - everything
seems to be working ok.

But now I'm stuck - before I send this server back, I need some basic
questions answered - and or - at least a couple of pointers in the right
direction.

 -- K12LTSP 6.0.0 - Using the Gnome desktop --

** Workstation Login Screen*
I figured out how to add the school's logo to the main login screen. Now, is
there a way to remove the menu items in the upper left screen.
I want to remove, Session, Language, and Theme - leaving only Disconnect.

** Workstation Desktop*
Now once logged in. I have three icons (Computer, Home folder and Trash) -
but I also have full menus at the top of the page.
Is there a way to limit access? The students do not "Places" or "System"
menus - and in "Applications" they don't need "system tools".

** Now for the teacher.....*
The teacher logs in as who.... ??
Of course we don't want the teacher to log in to the server as root. Is
there a special '"teacher" configuration / login?

ANY pointers or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

John,
Bakersfield, Ca.