Re: [K12OSN] New to K12LTSP - basic help please

Just to pile on what others have said:

-For modifying the login screen, see the link to the wiki that Mel gave. You'll find a lot of good info on the wiki; have a look around.

-For the teacher, there is no special login, so just create one; don't use the root account for the teacher. You may want to setup the teacher account with sudo access, as there are somethings that may require root-like access, and you don't want the teacher to login as root.

-Use Sabayon for customizing everyone's menus. I don't think it's installed by default, but you should be able to install it via yum (command line) or YumEx (GUI).

-AND--and this is arguably the most important part--post any questions to this list. Everyone is quite friendly and will do what they can to help you out.

Peter

John Montoya wrote:
Hello-

*Brand New User* - to the K12LTSP.
A local middle school somehow came across the K12LTSP and purchased a new server for their lab. They have zero Linux experience and are a Windows house, they really didn't know what they were purchasing.

So... I've been called in to help out with the deployment. I'm impressed with the project and recommended they give it a try. They delivered a brand new server to me. I installed *K12LTSP 6.0.0 - *and I have it all up and running. Workstations log in fine... functionally, for the most part - everything seems to be working ok.

But now I'm stuck - before I send this server back, I need some basic questions answered - and or - at least a couple of pointers in the right direction.

 -- K12LTSP 6.0.0 - Using the Gnome desktop --

** Workstation Login Screen*
I figured out how to add the school's logo to the main login screen. Now, is there a way to remove the menu items in the upper left screen.
I want to remove, Session, Language, and Theme - leaving only Disconnect.

** Workstation Desktop*
Now once logged in. I have three icons (Computer, Home folder and Trash) - but I also have full menus at the top of the page. Is there a way to limit access? The students do not "Places" or "System" menus - and in "Applications" they don't need "system tools".

** Now for the teacher.....*
The teacher logs in as who.... ??
Of course we don't want the teacher to log in to the server as root. Is there a special '"teacher" configuration / login?

ANY pointers or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

John,
Bakersfield, Ca.