Re: [K12OSN] State of K12LTSP?

Mark Trimble wrote:

On Dec 27, 2007 7:39 PM, <monteslu cox net> wrote:
Eric Harrison, any chance we can get an official comment on the state of things?

I'm sure you're a busy guy, and I very much appreciate the years of work you've put into the project.

I've been using K12LTSP for a several years, but had to switch to edubuntu this past summer.
I'd switch back to fedora in a heartbeat if it had solid LTSP5 support.

I'm using K12LTSP at the moment, but have also been a Skolelinux user for years. What is it about edubuntu/K12LTSP that would make you "switch back to fedora in a heartbeat if it (K12LTSP) had solid LTSP5 support"?

Mark

I can tell you, from the perspective of someone who's tried both of them, multiple versions, side-by-side that K12LTSP hasn't require *any* tweaking to "just work."  Eric did a really bang-up job on the integration and has for years.  And K12LTSP, especially in its "EL" incarnations, is rock-solid for stability.

Actually, Edubuntu has twice failed me in demos, and fortunately I had a K12LTSP server with me both times to back me up (confirmed later not to be HW failures).  I haven't yet tried Edubuntu Gutsy Gibbon, due to lack of time; it may well be really nice at this point, and if it solves the problems I ran into, then that would be suh-weet.  I use Feisty Fawn in "thick client" mode quite a bit and generally like the *buntu distros a lot.

--TP