[K12OSN] State of K12LTSP?

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri Dec 28 18:23:38 UTC 2007

Mark Trimble wrote:

> On Dec 27, 2007 7:39 PM, <monteslu at cox.net <mailto:monteslu at cox.net>>
> wrote:
>
>     Eric Harrison, any chance we can get an official comment on the
>     state of things?
>
>     I'm sure you're a busy guy, and I very much appreciate the years
>     of work you've put into the project.
>
>     I've been using K12LTSP for a several years, but had to switch to
>     edubuntu this past summer.
>     I'd switch back to fedora in a heartbeat if it had solid LTSP5
>     support.
>

> I'm using K12LTSP at the moment, but have also been a Skolelinux user
> for years. What is it about edubuntu/K12LTSP that would make you
> "switch back to fedora in a heartbeat if it (K12LTSP) had solid LTSP5
> support"?
>
> Mark

I can tell you, from the perspective of someone who's tried both of
them, multiple versions, side-by-side that K12LTSP hasn't require *any*
tweaking to "just work."  Eric did a really bang-up job on the
integration and has for years.  And K12LTSP, especially in its "EL"
incarnations, is rock-solid for stability.

Actually, Edubuntu has twice failed me in demos, and fortunately I had a
K12LTSP server with me both times to back me up (confirmed later not to
be HW failures).  I haven't yet tried Edubuntu Gutsy Gibbon, due to lack
of time; it may well be really nice at this point, and if it solves the
problems I ran into, then that would be suh-weet.  I use Feisty Fawn in
"thick client" mode quite a bit and generally like the *buntu distros a lot.

--TP