[K12OSN] smbldap-installer Do I need Winbind?

I'm testing out a Linux-based domain controller using the smbldap-installer. The installer script automatically installed winbind, but I'm not sure I really need it. Is winbind's only purpose to authenticate a Linux machine against a Windows domain controller? (If so, then I don't need winbind).

I removed winbind and my setup still seems to work, but I'm afraid that my testing might be insufficient. Any advice is welcome.

-Rob