Re: [K12OSN] smbldap-installer Do I need Winbind?

winbind is the windows equivalent of DNS for supporting non-RFC
compliant name<->IP address resolution specifically associated with
windows domains. Since windows domains can exist that are not internet
capable, they need a way to resolve a machine name to an IP address for
a share access. Linux as a samba server with winbind works quite well
(within the limits of the winbind design_. If you need it, you will know
because suddenly windows desktops will not be able to browse the windows
network for machines with shares.