[K12OSN] OT- wine and user accounts

Barry Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Fri Feb 2 02:05:46 UTC 2007

Hi Ron,

 I never could figure out how to install Windows Apps through Wine,to show
up system wide. With Crossover Office Pro you can do just that. Its not
very costly,cant remember the cost now for Xover Office ? It gives you
the option to install the app for one user only, or system wide. You may
want to check into this. I dont think Ive run across an app that wouldnt
install correctly with Xover Office. I wanted to just use Wine myself but
run into the very hangup you are running into making the apps system
wide,,rather than per user. Crossover Office actually installs the apps
in the opt directory rather than the users home folder,I think is how it
works around the "only per user" install. It creates a Start Menu entry
"Windows Applications, with whatever sub directories of the Apps you
install via Xover Office.
BTW: You can have both Xover Office and Wine installed as well. Just an FYI.
I'm guessing someone on the list here can post a cludge on how to make
"all users" see an app installed via Wine,maybe?
This doesnt help much, I know:)..

Barry Cisna
westcentral school