[K12OSN] postfix problem ,dns maybe ?

Barry Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Sat Feb 3 20:49:48 UTC 2007

Hello All,

  Not sure what caused this( like everything network gone wonky related),
but yesterday our school mailserver freaked out with the HD running
solid by the time i got several phone calls from teachers" Email is
down". Last I looked this server had been up for 125 days,and also on
our lan had one of our best/main servers that houses financial stuff had
frooze solid(MS Windows).Anyways after rebooting the mail server
FC3/K12LTSP 4.2.1 now whoever trys to send getting the below message
from emails that are sent externally to our mail server. can send out
fine and send/receive internally fine. This is the first trouble with
this server in two years running rock solid. ( seems I always read
this),,,:)
I've read several posts in the past about email server "loopbacks" but
have never run into this myself. I can not see anything wonky in the
postfix main & master config files. Seems like a dns thing but I cant see
what I need to see to resolve it.
When I look at "veiw full headers", of a bounced back/externally sent
message I see one thing changed: It used to show
emailhostname.school.domain  Now I'm seeing mail.school.domain -Almost as
though maybe our local stats dns provider may have changed something? I'll
call them Monday.

Postfix
Dovecot
amavisd
Squirrelmail
 Any ideas welcome.

Thanks,

Barry Cisna
westcentral school

554 5.0.0 MX list for our.school.domain. points back to
mail.our.school.domain
554 5.3.5 Local configuration error
550 5.1.1 postmaster... User unknown