[K12OSN] setting group write permission on OO documents (OT)

Tim Born k12osn at deltacfax.com
Sat Feb 10 20:42:11 UTC 2007

Nadav Kavalerchik wrote:

> Hi All :-)
>
> We are using a terminal server setup in our lab that let users with
> different names (which are part of a Students Group) save documents on
> a shared folder. (all terminals autologin with user names pc1..pc25)
>
> How can we save OO documents with Group permission set to Write so a
> Documents could be saved by anyone and edited by anyone ?
>
> Kindly,
> Nadav Smile

If your students are saving their files to e.g. /sharedStuff
and /sharedStuff is grouped to Students
and the permissions on /sharedStuff include the sgid bit (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setgid)
then /the files that get created there will belong to Student group/,
and folks in Student group will be able to do .... whatever the
permission bits for the file permit.

mkdir /sharedStuff
chgrp Students /sharedStuff
chmod 2770 /sharedStuff

That allows the owner (presumably root) and folks in Students group to
create & view files in /sharedStuff.
The permissions on the files actually control access, but I think umask
defaults to 002, so I think the default will be that anyone in the
Students group will probably be able to read/write those files.

best,
-tim