[K12OSN] RAID let me down...

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Tue Feb 13 13:32:45 UTC 2007

I had one of my hard drives fail in a hardware RAID5 array this
morning.  Along with the drive failure, I have thousands, maybe
hundreds of thousands of file corruptions, missing inodes, etc, etc.
I've been fscking all morning.  So much for fault tolerance.

My question to the list, is should I switch to a software based
array?  I use software RAID5 at home, and apart from figuring out
*which* drive is "drive 4", I've been able to replace a bad drive
without any real headaches.

Any suggestions on what I should do next?  Apart from quitting my job
and applying at McDonalds...

-Shawn
--
Shawn Powers