[K12OSN] ldap will not start on server

David Hopkins dahopkins429 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 15:20:42 UTC 2007

I go on vacation, so of course the server has problems :)

The linux server used for ldap authentication crashed yesterday.  Now, ldap
will not start successfully.  This means that samba will not start and that
means users can' t log onto the windows servers..  Also, I have a slave ldap
server running and we are currently authenticating against that server for
the linux logins.  However, my windows terminal servers want to use the main
authentication server.

So, I had the tech coordinator try running the following.

sladp_db_recover -v -h /var/lib/ldap

but this does not correct the issue since then running

/etc/init.d/ldap start will not start ldap.  It returns a message that slapd
failed to start.

The tech director is now trying:

slapd_db_recover -v -h /var/lib/ldap
chown -R ldap.ldap /var/lib/ldap
/etc/init.d/ldap start

but I am not overly optimistic.  So, the question:

Can I just delete all of the db.001, db.0002, etc files and have slapd
rebuild them without losing the database?  Then, I can run the above
commands again?  Finally, there is a replog.lck file which I had him delete
(it was size zero), but this had not effect on ldap starting.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins