[K12OSN] Using K12LTSP on existing school network

Bob Hill thebobhill at mail.com
Sat Feb 17 23:04:41 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I am a high school teacher in North Carolina.  I have been testing
K12ltsp and other LTSP solutions on a small (5 clients) classroom local
network for the past six months or so.  The current Fedora Core 6
K12ltsp works very well and I am happy with the performance.  I am not
network knowledgeable  yet, and have questions I hope someone here may
answer.

How should I approach our IT staff to get an okay to attach my classroom
server to our school network so we can have internet access for the thin
clients?  I have tested this and it works fine, but the IT staff always
warns us of attaching switches or routers to the school network and does
not allow it.  Would attaching my LTSP server to the network cause
problems somehow?

The school network uses fat windows workstations logging into the school
server through Novell, but most if not all of the applications run
locally.  My classroom LTSP server does not need to log on to our school
network.  Internet access just passes through the school server.   It
seems the school network would see my classroom LTSP server as just
another single machine with one IP address, while my the switch I am
using would be behind this machine attached to the thin clients.  Please
explain to me how this would "bring down our school network" as I have
sometimes been told.  I understand that the clients may be increasing
the bandwidth demand on the port the classroom server is attached to,
but is this a problem?

Finally, if this is a problem, could I somehow set up an extra cacheing
proxy server or something to download some complete websites during off
hours and have the LTSP classroom server connect to that for simulated
internet access?

Thanks for any suggestions or directions.

Bob Hill