[K12OSN] LTSP Netware Authentication

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 23:21:16 UTC 2007

This isn't exactly what you were asking about, but have you considered
authenticating against NDS via LDAP? There is a link at Novell that discusses
it:

	http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/1630.html

I make the suggestion because I know pam_ldap and nss_ldap are in widespread
use with Linux and I know it works (ssh too) FWIW. As I have said before, I
don't currently use Netware (not since v4) let alone try to attempt Linux
integration, so this is just a suggestion.

On Wednesday 21 February 2007 21:20, Willis, Ben wrote:
> I'm attempting to get Edubuntu to authenticate my thin clients against my
> Netware NDS servers using pam_ncp_auth.so
>
> I have my server authenticating logins and even creating users on the fly
> but the thin clients refuse to work. I assume that this is because the ssh
> session is not authenticating via NCP as well. It will log into an account
> that already exists on the server though.
>
> While testing Ive used a simple ssh session into the server with an account
> that does not yet exist on the server. I can see in the /var/log/auth.log
> file that the authentication attempt is made but I get an error that the
> password is incorrect (of course it is correct).
>
> Am I missing something? Surely there are school districts out these still
> using Netware and wanting to authenticate their students against NDS.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ben Willis
> Anderson School District Five
> Anderson SC

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |