[K12OSN] Converting to Linux

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Feb 23 20:42:38 UTC 2007

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 12:54:19 -0600, Kemp, Levi wrote
> I'd like to ask for suggestions on this undertaking; we are going to
> attempt to use Linux at our school as opposed to Windows. My first
> question is this, without setting up a Linux server is it possible to
> create a lab of Linux clients and run them on our current network, or
> does this have to be all or none? I'm unsure if we want to go with thin
> clients, some of the programs may be too much to run over the
> network. Second question, what version of Linux would you suggest?
> None of us have a great deal of experience with Linux, we are just
> unable to keep are hardware up with the requirements for windows and
> do not want to have to move into Vista. Thanks for the assistance.

Linux means options, many options.  If you just want to run stand alone
machine the way you would your windows or macs, just install locally right on
those machines.  You should be able to access your network just as you would
with a Windows machine without interfering with anything.  Most of what is
discussed on this list is the use of LTSP for thin clients which require a
server.  But you can use a live Cd or do a local install on any machine.

My personal preference is Kubuntu.  This is the KDE based version of Ubuntu
(Ubuntu is Gnome based).  I just plain like KDE.  Many others like Gnome.
There is no right or wrong way.  I simply find KDE to be cleaner and more
intuitive than Gnome, but that is my preference.  If you are running older
machines in this lab, you could look at Xubuntu which runs XFCE for the
desktop environment.  This desktop requires less overhead.  if you decide
later that you want a thin client setup you can always incorporate Edubuntu.
And as far as servers go Ubuntu rocks as well.

Why Ubuntu?  It seems to be advancing in leaps and bounds and seems to have an
excellent governing structure and plan for the future.  Nothing bad about
Fedora/RedHat or any other distro for that matter, I just really like Ubuntu
personally.  And if you enable the universe and multiverse repositories
(should be enable by default I hear in Fiesty), you have just about any
application you'd ever need with a simple search in Adept (the package
manager).  Adept is a simple search, click install, apply changes system. Also
upgrading with an apt based system is awesome.  Either use your package
manager for a simply upgrade, or in /etc/apt/sources.list change all
references to your previous version to the new version then (say from Edgy to
Fiesty)"apt-get update" and "apt-get dist-upgrade".  Then just wait for your
new OS.  And for me personally, the 6 month release cycle is a perfect mesh
between latest and greatest along with stable.

Hope that helps.  I'm sure you'll get many responses with what window manager
and what distro to use.  Again, choice, its awesome.  Just choose what sounds
like it best fits your needs.  And with the cost ($0), you can afford to
change your mind if the first choice doesn't seem to fit the bill.