[K12OSN] dhcpd quit working

David D. Nelson nelsda at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 25 20:26:44 UTC 2007

After a powerfailure to my K12LTSP 6.0.0 server DHCP
quit working. Trying to manually start it with servide
dhcpd start produces an almost instant [FAILED]
response. The log (/var/log/messages) file says

** You must add a global ddns-update-style statement
to /etc/dhcpd.conf.
   To get the same behaviour as in 3.0b2pl11 and
previous
   versions, add a line that says "ddns-update-style
ad-hoc;"
   Please read the dhcpd.conf manual page for more
information. **

The /etc/dhcpd.conf only has the following:
[root at ruby etc]# cat dhcpd.conf
#
# DHCP Server Configuration file.
#   see /usr/share/doc/dhcp*/dhcpd.conf.sample
#

All I can figure is that something got messed up
during a yum update or some file got messed up when
the power quit. A search of the maillist didn't turn
up anything that looked like it applied to my
situation.

FWIW, /var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases is an empty file. I
don't know why since dhcp was working prior to the
power going out.

Thank you for any help/ideas.

David D. Nelson
nelsda at yahoo.com