[K12OSN] Centos?

Jeff Davis jdavis at standard.k12.ca.us
Tue Feb 27 21:13:27 UTC 2007

I've been getting a lot of questions lately re: thin clients for
classroom deployment - Given that we use linux almost exclusively on the
back end, it seems to me that this may be a good opportunity to get
linux in front of teachers and students.  I have a couple of questions
that hopefully have been answered previously.  I'm trying to mitigate
the inevitable "it's what I have at home" push-back as much as possible,
esp from teachers.

1) We anticipate needing a few basics, such as web browsing, email, and
productivity apps.  I assume in this environment we're talking firefox,
tbird, and OOo.

2) We also use some hosted apps that will not run under linux due to
plugin issues.  The vendor does not appear to be willing to budge on
this (big surprise there...)  I've been able to get firefox for windows
installed on my linux box at home using WINE, and from there get the
plugins installed.  Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

3) We are planning to do a very limited pilot using some older (p4-xeon)
dual cpu servers (proliant ml530).  Realistically, what is the maximum
number of clients I should attempt to connect to them.  The cpus are
800mhz, with 2-4gb ram.  Hard drive space is in the neighborhood of
80gb.  We're looking at cannibalizing several of these older servers to
make one higher-capacity unit for the pilot

4)  Has anyone got this running under Centos or other
longer-service-life distro?  If this takes off I would prefer not to
have to upgrade every 6 months or so.

5)  We have an existing OpenLDAP/autofs infrastructure.  Should I
anticipate any issues with integrating this system with existing
services for authentication and home directory provisioning?

Thanks, and my apologies if these issues have been dealt with already.

-Jeff