[K12OSN] wireless and home directories

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 16:53:38 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 31 January 2007 09:04, Randall Swift wrote:
> I am using a ldap/samba server as my authentication server and I would
> like to know how a wireless laptop can connect to their home directory
> after login (they log in with a cached account). Is there a script that
> can run after the wireless connects so they will have their home
> directory?

I assume that the laptops are running Windows, if so then a script that said
something like:

	net use h: \\smbhost\home\%USER%

Would connect map drive "h:" to their home directory. There may be more
elegant scripts that could be used, and the above assumes that all users have
the same loginid and password on the laptop and in Samba. There are other
options to the "net use" command to tweak your setup. From your question I
assume the laptops are *not* performing a domain login (which should map the
home drive already) and that there is no firewall on the wireless net
blocking the NetBIOS ports used by Windows net traffic. I do hope you aren't
using an "open" wifi net.

If all that is needed is access to the content of the home directory, you
could use something like "CoreFTP" which is a GUI FTP client that also uses
"sftp", which is a subsystem of SSH. This would allow you to keep the NetBIOS
ports "closed" (only need tcp port 22 open) and provide encryption of the
session.

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |