[K12OSN] Network monitoring

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Mon Feb 5 16:58:46 UTC 2007

Daniel Kuecker wrote:

> Does anyone have a suggestion on an open source setup to monitor
> network
> traffic? I want to setup a server to monitor the traffic so I can see
> who is going where, what bandwidth is being used, and what services
> are
> being used. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

You might want to check out ntop (http://www.ntop.org/). From the
website:

     What ntop can do for me?

     - Sort network traffic according to many protocols
     - Show network traffic sorted according to various criteria
     - Display traffic statistics
     - Store on disk persistent traffic statistics in RRD format
     - Identify the indentity (e.g. email address) of computer users
     - Passively (i.e. withou sending probe packets) identify the
host OS
     - Show IP traffic distribution among the various protocols
     - Analyse IP traffic and sort it according to the source/
destination
     - Display IP Traffic Subnet matrix (who's talking to who?)
     - Report IP protocol usage sorted by protocol type
     - Act as a NetFlow/sFlow collector for flows generated by
routers (e.g. Cisco and Juniper) or switches (e.g. Foundry Networks)
     - Produce RMON-like network traffic statistics

It is not a very lightweight app, but it is very easy to setup and
really shows a *lot* of stats. It is distributed under the GPL.

Nils Breunese.