[K12OSN] slow SSH login problem

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 11:05:08 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 07 February 2007 23:50, David Whitmer wrote:
> Thanks everyone for your advice.
>
> When I checked the server, SSH logins is working fine now.  I had done
> a yum update last weekend... perhaps that corrected something.
>
> I did check sshd_config.  The "UseDNS" line was already commented out.
>  Would it default to "no" in that case, or "yes".  SSH login is
> working now, so many it doesn't matter too much right now.

The default values are commented out for documentation. The default value is
"UseDNS yes". It *is* turned on.

> To answer another response, this particular server only uses local
> authentication... no LDAP or NIS.  Ping responses were okay, too.

Yes, and you currently are not experiencing the problem either. Take some
baseline ping mesurements now while it is working correctly; if the problem
crops up again, you will have something to compare to. If the problem
returns, test DNS directly by using "dig" with each of your nameservers too.
I don't think your updates had anything to do with creating or fixing the
problem; it may have been a transient problem on your ISP's network and may
never show up again or something no one has mentioned yet, but it is a good
idea to develop some systematic diagnostics and taking baseline data is a
good place to start. If you can use "traceroute" (many firewalls prevent it's
use) it would be a good idea to record the route to several well known
locations (like www.google.com for instance); then if a problem crops up you
can see if your routing has changed or where it stops.

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |